As The State University of New Jersey, Rutgers has taken steps to manage and preserve the integrity of the Rutgers name. The goal of the Rutgers visual identity system created in 2006 was to create instantly recognizable visual identities for all Rutgers communications. The resources below will help to preserve the impact of the Rutgers Graduate School of Education (GSE) brand.
- All departments and centers at the GSE must use the Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature.
- Please use the Rutgers logotype with GSE signature with the shield in all formal GSE communications unless the space being used does not permit it.
- Unless specifically approved by the GSE Office of Communications & Marketing, the logo always has to be used in conjunction with GSE’s tagline: Advancing Excellence and Equity in Education.
- The tagline is always in Arial font and italicized.
- Depending on the color of the logo chosen, the tagline can be in any of the following colors: red (Pantone 186), white, black, or gray (Pantone 431).
- The font size of the tagline can vary depending on the size of the logo being used.
- Examples of how to use the tagline in conjunction with the logo can be found below – see GSE letterhead (with or without shield), GSE letterhead – Excellence & Equity, and PowerPoint templates.
Rutgers Logotype with the GSE SignatureThe Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature can be downloaded from here. Please refer to the minimum standards guidelines below before creating any projects. You can download these guidelines and save to your desktop for easy access.
- Rutgers Logotype with the GSE Signature
- Rutgers Logotype with the GSE Signature with Shield
If you require a different file format for the logo, this can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
GSE Letterhead & Other Templates
The templates below are all in Word or PowerPoint files and can be used to create print and web projects. If you are designing your own flyers or other materials, proofs for the artwork need to be submitted to the GSE Office of Communications & Marketing for approval. If you are using one of the templates below, approval is not required.
- Letterhead with Shield
- Letterhead without Shield
- Letterhead – Excellence & Equity
- Letterhead for Centers with Shield
- Letterhead for Centers without Shield
- GSE Cover Page
- Portrait Flyer with Rutgers Gate Image
- Landscape Flyer with Rutgers Gate Image
- Portrait Flyer with Old Queens Image
- Landscape Flyer with Old Queens Image
- Portrait Flyer for Speaker
- Landscape Flyer for Speaker
GSE Virtual Backgrounds
Download our variety of backgrounds and use them to represent the GSE at any virtual meeting. Click the links below, then right-click the image and find the option to save to your computer.
GSE Centennial Backgrounds
For limited use only until December 2023.
Print Minimum Standards
Please follow these guidelines for all printed materials:
- The preferred placement for the Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature is in the upper left corner on the front cover/panel.
- The minimum size of the Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature is 1.25 inches wide. There should be minimum clear space around the logotype equal to the capital “R” height. See image below.
- The Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature may only appear in red Pantone 186, white or black. The preferred color for a signature is gray Pantone 431.
- The RGB colors are: R204 G0 B51.
- At a minimum, the full name of the university, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, should appear in the address block on the back of the printed piece.
The official Rutgers fonts are ITC Giovanni and Formata BQ. For internal use purposes only, these fonts can be requested from Elyse Carlson at email@example.com. When working with an external vendor, if these official Rutgers fonts are desired, vendors are required to purchase ITC Giovanni and Formata BQ. Alternatively, they can use Arial or Palatino.
Website Minimum Standards
Please follow these guidelines for all web materials:
- The Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature must appear in the top left corner of the live content area on every webpage.
- The minimum size of the Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature is 150 pixels wide, with a recommended 28-pixels-wide border of clear space.
- The Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature may only appear in white, black, or red. The color specifications for red are RGB (204, 0, 51) or #cc0033. The color specifications for black are RGB (0, 0, 0) or #000000. The specifications for gray are RGB (95, 106, 114) or #5f6a72.
- The website must link back to the GSE website.
- Blogs, wikis, faculty research and project pages are considered to be websites and need to conform to these minimum standards.
- The full university copyright must appear in the footer of every webpage. See below:
Copyright ©2023, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. All rights reserved.
E-communication Minimum Standards
- The Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature must appear in the top left corner of an e-newsletter, and somewhere in the designed space of a custom designed broadcast email.
- In addition, the full name of the university, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, must appear somewhere in both methods of communication.
Video Minimum Standards
- The Rutgers logotype with the GSE signature must appear prominently at or near the opening or closing of a Rutgers video.
- In addition, the full name of the university, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, must appear visually or in the audio track somewhere in the course of the video.
- The video standards apply to all forms of video including but not limited to television commercials, Jumbotrons, low-definition website videos, and high-definition documentaries.
- Rutgers University and the GSE require that all external guests sign a release form in advance of any photos/videos being taken. The release form can be downloaded below, or you can send your guest(s) the form to fill out ahead of time.
The GSE’s Communications and Marketing Department has limited capacity to take photos for smaller activities or events given advance notice; please email Coby Green-Rifkin to find out if your event can be covered. A minimum of two weeks notice must be given. All assignments completed by Works for Hire photographers or school staff become part of the GSE photo archive, and may be used/shared for school promotional purposes.
Rutgers University and the GSE require that all external guests sign a release form in advance of any photos/videos being taken. The release form can be downloaded below, or you can send your guest(s) the form to fill out ahead of time.
- Model Release Form (English)
- Minor Model Release Form (English)
- Model Release Form (Spanish)
- Minor Model Release Form (Spanish)