- Degrees & Programs
- Download the program guide (includes course list and application requirements)
- Contact the program coordinator, Dr. Judith Harrison
- Contact the program faculty:
The non-degree Learning Disabilities Teacher-Consultant Endorsement Program offered at the GSE prepares certified teachers to serve as Learning Disabilities Teacher-Consultants (LDT-Cs) in public school systems. The LDT-C works as an assessment specialist and a member of the public personnel services team. Core courses will develop student competencies in the assessment and remediation of students with learning disabilities, teach collaborative teaching and consultation skills, and integrate principles of New Jersey special education law. Educators who enroll in the program will be prepared to interpret patterns found in testing, to devise informal measures to pinpoint cognitive difficulties, and to design interventions to help students compensate for academic and behavioral deficiencies.
Applicants to this program are required to have an earned master’s degree, a New Jersey standard instructional certificate, and have three years of full-time classroom teaching experience. This program does not lead to a degree or initial teacher certification.
For more information about this program:
Aug 15 / Dec 15 / May 15 - Late applications will be considered
Fall / Spring / Summer
What You'll Learn
Students exiting the non-degree LDT-C Endorsement Program are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions required to facilitate the assessment of academic achievement of students referred for learning disabilities evaluation. Through completion of coursework in areas including special education, educational statistics, and learning, cognition, and development, students develop the ability to interpret patterns found in testing, devise informal measures to identify cognitive, emotional, and behavioral strengths and needs, and determine instructional strategies to promote success in school and address specific needs.
For more information about the courses in this program, please visit the course catalog and online schedule of classes.
24 Graduate Course Credits
- 15 Credits – Special Education Core
- 3 Credits – Learning Disabilities
- 3 Credits – Psychology of the Exceptional Child
- 3 Credits – Identification and Assessment of Learning Disabilities
- 3 Credits – Remediation of Learning Disabilities
- 3 Credits – Practicum in Special Education*
- 6 Credits – Learning, Cognition, & Development
- 3 Credits – Biological Bases of Behavior
- 3 Credits – Psychology of Learning
- 3 Credits – Assessments and Measurement
- 3 Credits – Introduction to Assessment, Applied Statistics, and Research
*Students must be admitted into and currently enrolled in either the LDT-C master’s or non-degree program and have completed all required program courses in order to be permitted to register for 15:293:636. Faculty may be able to waive the prerequisite when one course other than 15:293:522, 293:526, and 293:527 still needs to be completed after the practicum due to scheduling problems.
- Students will archive artifacts from various GSE courses via an online instructional and evaluation system as directed by faculty
Students are expected to maintain a “B” or better average as a non-degree student. Accepted students will have 5 years to complete the program. After completing all of the required courses in the program, students should contact the Office of Academic Services at the GSE to notify them and to secure an application for the state endorsement. GSE personnel will then forward the completed application to Trenton along with a recommendation that the certification be awarded.
Additional Requirements for New Jersey Certification:
New Jersey statute N.J.S.A. 18A:37-22 requires that educators entering the workforce in the 2012 school year and beyond must have completed through their pre-service preparation (e.g., courses, practicum) a program on harassment, intimidation, and bullying (HIB) prevention. The HIB prevention requirements apply to the following programs: (a) teachers and education services personnel certifications; and (b) administrative certifications, including chief school administrators, principals, and supervisors. Details on the required training can be found here.
Careers and Outcomes
Graduates of this program are prepared for employment as a Learning Disabilities Teacher-Consultant in public, private, and charter schools. Within this role, they may come to act as educational specialists, coaches, consultants, and or diagnosticians, and work to develop appropriate learning environments to meet the needs of each student they serve.
- Photocopy of a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate
- 1 Letter of Recommendation
- from the applicant’s current or previous school principal or supervisor, on school district letterhead, certifying the completion of three years of successful, full-time employment under a New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate
- Official Transcripts
- Applicants must hold a master’s degree or higher degree equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university; applicants are not usually admitted with a GPA less than 2.75 in their most recent degree
Applicants are responsible for reviewing and confirming that they meet all requirements before the application is submitted. Rutgers Graduate School of Education will not refund the application fee if an applicant is not accepted.
How to Apply
Current Rutgers University Students:
All applicants who are currently enrolled in a program at Rutgers University and wish to begin the certificate program while continuing their current program should contact the GSE Office of Student and Academic Services (OSAS) at email@example.com.
Non-Rutgers University Students:
- Collect the materials required for admission
- Submit your application online at http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/
- Submit supporting materials online
- Any supporting materials that cannot be submitted electronically should be mailed to Graduate Admissions’ New Brunswick office. Their mailing address can be found here: https://gradstudy.rutgers.edu/about/contact-us
Click here for the New Brunswick Graduate tuition rates.