What is the difference between an Ed.D. and a Ph.D.?

The Ph.D program is intended to prepare students for careers in research. It is anticipated that graduates of the program will continue to generate new knowledge as part of their careers. The Ed.D. prepares students for leadership roles in education.

How many years are given to a student for completion of an Ed.M., and how many for an Ed.D.?

On average, 5 years for a Ed.M., and 10 years for an Ed.D.

How long does it take to earn a Ph.D.?

It takes approximately 5–7 years to earn a Ph.D.

How many credits can I transfer into a program?

For nonmatriculated Rutgers University credits, up to a maximum of 12 (applicable) credits will be accepted by the GSE toward a degree should the student later be admitted to a degree program. Candidates for the master's degree must complete a minimum of 30 credits at Rutgers University. For master's programs, transfer credit from schools on the approved list of the GSE may be accepted on approval of the student's adviser only in programs in which more than 30 credits are required for graduation. For Ed.D. programs, not more than 24 credits of coursework taken at the post baccalaureate level for an institution(s) on the approved list of the GSE may be accepted as meeting any of the course requirements for the Ed.D. degree.

Who is on the dissertation committee?

The dissertation must be approved by a minimum of three members of a faculty committee of four members. The member of the program faculty who supervises the student’s investigation becomes chair of the committee and must be a member of the graduate faculty. The committee also includes two additional members of the Ph.D. faculty in education and an “outside” member, who is appointed by the Ph.D. director in consultation with the student’s adviser. Whenever possible, “outside” shall be “outside the university,” but in all cases this person must be outside the program. The outside member is expected to be a recognized authority on the subject of the dissertation. Prior to scheduling a defense of the proposal, the proposed committee must be approved by the Ph.D. director.

Does the Graduate School of Education have a master’s program in school psychology?

No, the Graduate School of Education has a masters’ program in counseling psychology. This program of study is a generalist degree that allows for exploring the professional specialty of counseling psychology. Courses provide a base of studies that is often used to prepare individuals for admission to doctoral programs in professional psychology. Independent practice of professional psychology requires a doctorate in professional psychology (counseling, clinical, industrial/organizational, or school), a supervised internship experience, and a professional license in the state(s) where the practice is conducted.