Whom do I contact for information about becoming a principal?

Information about becoming a principal is available from GSE's Office of Student and Academic Services. Contact OSAS at 848-932-3232 or academic.services@gse.rutgers.edu.

I am certified in elementary (or secondary) education and want to be certified in special education. How can I do this?

You need to obtain an endorsement for New Jersey Teacher of Students with Disabilities.
To do so, you must hold:

  • A New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS)

If you meet this requirement, please apply to the Nondegree Special Education Endorsement Program leading to New Jersey Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certification.  To be eligible for the program, you must have:

  • A New Jersey Standard Instructional Certificate or a Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS)
  • A GPA of 2.75 or higher from most recent degree
  • A letter of recommendation from current or previous school principal or supervisor on school district letterhead

To obtain a Nondegree Special Education Endorsement Program Application, please contact the Office of Student and Academic Services at 848-932-3232, academic.services@gse.rutgers.edu, or visit GSE at 10 Seminary Place, New Brunswick, NJ 08901. Additional information about GSE certificate and endorsement programs is available on our website.

How can I obtain the Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (LDTC) certification at Rutgers?

You can obtain the LDTC certification by completing the master’s degree in special education. The LDTC is an option within the master's program.

Do you have courses for the New Jersey Supervisor’s Certificate? How do I take them?
The GSE has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Education to offer the courses for the New Jersey Supervisor’s Certificate at sites throughout New Jersey. After prerequisites are met, non-degree students are permitted to take the 12 credits needed for the certificate, then submit their request for the certificate to the State through their county superintendent’s office. Information regarding this program can be accessed on by contacting the Office of Student and Academic Services and also, off-campus course listings.
Can I take on-campus classes to complete my endorsement program requirements?

In order to take classes on the New Brunswick Campus, you must seek special permission from your program's department at the Graduate School of Education. Please call the Office of Student and Academic Services at 848-932-3232, to learn which department your program falls under and who to contact for permission.

Can I get certified to teach science in the middle school?

No. There is no such certification in New Jersey yet.

Can I get certified in both physical and biological science?


First you need to go through one of the programs and get an initial certification. Then, if you have 30 credits (with 12 credits at the 300 or 400 level) in the other discipline, you can take the appropriate Praxis II test and get certified.

Can I get certified at Rutgers without going through the master’s/certification program?

It depends on the area of licensure.  See specific program requirements on the teacher certification programs.

Can I finish the program in 1 year or 1.5 years?

No, the teacher certification program is two-years long. You may take longer, if necessary.