Jamel Adkins-SharifAssistant Professor of Professional Practice
Dr. Adkins-Sharif is Assistant Professor of Professional Practice at Rutgers University Graduate School of Education.
Jamel holds an EdD in Urban Education, Leadership and Policy Studies from the University of Massachusetts-Boston. Using critical race and decolonial lenses, his research explores racial and social justice, leadership, and equity in schools. Jamel has had a successful career as a special education teacher of history and mathematics in New York, and was founding principal of both an elementary charter and a district middle school in Massachusetts. Additionally, Dr. Adkins-Sharif served on the Principal’s Advisory Cabinet of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and consults with the Department on culturally proficient school transformation. An alum of Rutgers Law School-Newark, Jamel lives with his wife, has two college attending sons, and is happiest when serving youth and families, traveling with his family, biking, and playing chess.
• University of Massachusetts-Boston, Boston, Massachusetts Doctorate of Education, Urban Education Leadership & Policy Studies Dissertation Title: The racial challenges facing black male school leaders enacting social justice agendas in environments of privilege
• Endicott College/MSSAA Leadership Licensure Program, Franklin, Massachusetts Masters of Education Organizational Management
• Rutgers University School of Law-Newark, Newark, New Jersey Juris Doctorate
• Hunter College of the City University of New York, New York, New York Masters of Science in Special Education/Education Evaluation
• Queens College of the City University of New York, Queens, New York Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, Minor in Secondary Education
● Justice-oriented school leadership
● Race, identity and power in school structures and schooling practices
● Parent/caregiver involvement
● Culturally sustaining school transformation
Adkins-Sharif, J. (2021) A Black principal’s decolonizing journey for racial justice. Black and Brown Leadership and the Promotion of Change in an Era of Social Unrest. IGI Global Publishing.
Adkins-Sharif, J., Lewis, N. (2020). Talking back: Two leaders dialogue about leading while Black for social justice. Purveyors of Change: P-12 Leaders of Color Share Their Stories, Information Age Publishing.
Adkins-Sharif, J. (2020). The racial challenges facing Black male school leaders enacting social justice agendas in environments of privilege (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global database. (UMI No. 28086573)
Lewis, N., Adkins-Sharif, J. (2020). Allying & leading through racial realities. Journal of Education Human Resources, 38(2), 194-212.
Adkins-Sharif, J. (2020). A Black school leader confronts privilege and power. ASCD Express, 15(9).
Adkins-Sharif, J. (2019). The instructional leader’s journey. Educational Leadership 76(6), 70-74.
Adkins-Sharif, J. (2017). Beginning again with marginalized parents. Educational Leadership, 75(1), 34-38.
- Jamel Adkins-Sharif's CV