Ph.D. LCID Specialization in Educational Psychology

Program Details

Area(s) of Study:
  • Educational Psychology
Associated Degree:
  • Ph.D.
  • On-Campus
Program Level:
  • Doctoral
Program Type:
  • Degree


The specialization in Educational Psychology within the Learning, Cognition, Instruction, and Development concentration prepares students to conduct quantitative empirical research to advance psychological theory as applied to education. Our students become well grounded in learning, cognition, and development while acquiring the skills of the quantitative researcher:

  • Measurement theory
  • Statistical analysis
  • Research design
  • Evaluation
  • Qualitative tools to supplement quantitative methods

Scientific research is emphasized as a vehicle to advance theory that explains how people learn, teach, and differ from one another. Upon graduating, you’ll be prepared to conduct research concerning the discovery and validation of psychological processes and principles that have the potential to optimize human development and learning and to improve the methodological techniques that are employed in this process.


Please click here for program requirements.

Please refer to the GSE website for details about programs, faculty, admissions criteria, financial aid, and tuition. Questions about admissions procedures are answered by Graduate and Professional Admissions at the website listed above.


Proseminars (6 credits)
Required Research (6 credits)
Methodology (12 credits)
Concentration (18 Credits)
Cognate Courses (6 Credits) Dissertation (24 credits)

Program Requirements

The Ph.D. in Education requires 48 credits of coursework and 24 credits of dissertation research. All students in the Learning, Cognition, Instruction, and Development concentration take a common set of courses, accumulating 18 credits within the concentration, of which 6 credits must be classes within the concentration but outside the faculty adviser’s specialty.

A complete listing of degree requirements is available for download or at the Office of Student and Academic Services.

If you have more specific questions about this concentration, please contact Dake Zhang.